Speak Out : Status Disclosure
(This post is an opinion from a member and may not reflect Adam4Adam’s opinion. Everybody is free to choose, and we are not here to judge anyone)
We write about HIV disclosure a lot on this blog. That’s how important it is. If you are HIV positive it is very important to tell your partner and if you are asked about your status, to tell the truth.
Fear of rejection is probably the number one reason people who know their status, lie about their status. More and more states are implementing disclosure laws. Which would you rather have: rejection or jail time?
There is a man in jail in Missouri as I write this for possibly infecting 300 guys over a 10 year period. This person did this purposely. In most cases he told his partners he was HIV negative, in some cases he lied when asked about his status. This man will probably sit in jail for a long time. Is it really worth it?
I’ve been with guys in the past where we hooked up and nothing was said. From what happened I can only assume the guy was HIV positive or didn’t care. I’ve also been with guys who ask afterwards. Then I have been with guys who ask before anything happens.
Now, from my own experience I can say that 75% of the time the guy was asking either because he was HIV positive or was negative and wanted to protect himself. The other 25% ended how you think it would end and that’s OK. 25% is not worth it for me to lie about and hurt someone and/or end up in jail.
Protect yourself and others and by all means don’t go to jail over a hook up, it’s not worth it
g skorich aka eastvalley